The goals of this department are:
- Crime prevention suppression and resistance
- Crime prevention and reduction through law enforcement
- Movement and control of traffic and safety enforcement
- Maintenance of public order
- Public and emergency service
- Community support for department goals
CRIME PREVENTION SUPPRESSION AND RESISTANCE
This area consists of both long and short range crime prevention efforts.
It covers such areas as a highly visible preventive patrol in directed activities.
It covers educational programs presented in our school system, alerting our youth
to the dangers and consequences of crime and delinquent behavior. It covers
specialty programs to various business and civic organizations. It covers
referrals to the appropriate organizations of those in need of social,
psychological and economic assistance and pre-delinquent referrals to the
proper social service agency.
- Those short range prevention activities such as directed aggressive patrol in
high problem areas along with field interrogations designed to discourage
- Those long range crime prevention efforts such as hazard oriented
preventative patrol aimed at the identification and correction of those
potential areas of concern in our community.
- Those long range preventative activities such as the work being carried on
in this department directed towards our juvenile youths.
CRIME PREVENTION AND REDUCTION THROUGH LAW ENFORCEMENT
To include the investigation of crimes reported to this department; the
investigation of crimes not reported but which pose a continuous threat to
the welfare of this community or constitutes ongoing criminal activity; the
identification, arrest and prosecution of criminal offenders and the recovery
and return of stolen property.
- Cooperation with all local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Joint criminal investigations by both patrol and investigation divisions.
- A concentrated effort on those crimes or activities which threaten life
or health or pose a perceived danger to this community.
To include the collection, recordation and verification of intelligence
information along with its evaluation and timely dissemination to the proper
division head or personnel.
TRAFFIC CONTROL AND SAFETY ENFORCEMENT
Directed at facilitating the safe and rapid movement of automobiles and
pedestrians over our streets and highways. To include accident prevention
programs directed at public education and awareness, statistical data collection
and analysis directed at the location and elimination of local traffic hazards,
selective enforcement of existing state and local traffic laws.
- A concentration on D.U.I. enforcement due to the major role it plays in
fatality, serious injury and property damage accidents.
- Enforcement of those traffic violations which are most often responsible
- The concentration of efforts at those locations and times when accidents
are most prevalent.
- The constant survey of individual districts for possible hazards in order to
MAINTENANCE OF PUBLIC ORDER
It is a responsibility of this department to be prepared to cope with special
events, man made or natural disasters and civil or criminal disorders that may
occur from time to time. Each division commander will ensure that he has personnel
properly trained to maintain order and effectively deal with these problems.
- The specialized training of select personnel over that normally required by law
enforcement to effectively deal with any outbreak of civil or criminal disorder.
- Pre-planning on the courses of action to be taken when these conditions
exist with much forethought on the types of conditions that may occur in our
PUBLIC AND EMERGENCY SERVICE
A significant number of calls for service to this department are non-criminal
and fall in the category of emergency and miscellaneous service. These calls
relate to lost persons or property, frightened persons, citizens locked out of
homes and automobiles. It is the policy of this department to render this service
in a prudent manner to the full extent of our availability of manpower.
- Setting a priority on the calls for service, placing a lower priority on
non-emergency or non-criminal requests. However, if manpower is available,
we should respond to each request and render the service in a courteous and
COMMUNITY SUPPORT FOR DEPARTMENT GOALS
Citizen support and participation in attaining goals is essential in ensuring
the success of the police mission. It is a major goal of this department to
secure that support and participation.
- A sound philosophy of public service as that embodied in the following
excerpts from the British Police Principles.
- To recognize always that the power of the police to fulfill their functions
and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and
behavior and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect.
- To seek and preserve public favor, not by pandering to public opinion,
but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, without
regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws; by
ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the
public without regard to wealth or social standing, race, sex or national
origin; by the ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and
- To maintain at all times a relationship to the public that gives reality
to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the